This week, I give you the Wurmple Amigurumi! My collection has been lacking some reds and pinks, so I’m fixing that with this guy.
I find that the three-stage worm pokemon are pretty cute, and this guy is no exception; I love how it has spikes, yet it looks so fluffy! A somewhat overlooked worm versus Caterpie and Weedle from the first gen – at least, I would say that if it weren’t for my recent google searches showing Pokemon Go.
First off, I drew a rough layout of the pieces I wanted to make for Wurmple; I came up with two halves of the body and a separate piece for the face/mouth. I added more material to the top half of the head, so that the face could be stitched on.
For the top side of the body, I tried out a new stitch pattern for added texture. I searched for a puffy stitch, and found that the Shell Puff Stitch was best suited for the fluffy-spike texture. The furrows really pop out the puffs! I also added some triangular edging to the bottom side of the piece.
I know I shouldn’t think of it this way, but Wurmple looks like it has a butt-face. I recreated it using two semi-spheres stitched together, which was then stitched onto the top half of the body.
Soon after, I made the belly section of the body. For the ribbed sections, I crocheted one row using only the back loop (instead of the front loop); I remember coming across this method several years ago, when I was still learning alternatives to knitting techniques.
At this point I needed to put on the eyes, because I was having a bit of trouble seeing this project’s potential to be completed. I didn’t have any cream-coloured yellow felt on hand, so I painted over a piece of off-white felt instead.
The rest of the details were mostly variations of cones, with some triangular edging wrapped around the tail spikes.
Overall, this project was a nice exercise in using textured crochet stitches – here are the final results:
Thanks for reading!