This week, it was a unanimous decision to make natu, versus several other bird pokemon. I can see the appeal – it’s got a body for a head, and has such a squinty look. This is my kind of bird.
I was debating about how I would approach the body-head situation; my style is to have a large head and small body, but what happens when the body is the head?
After some thought, I decided to make it smaller than the wings, while the eyes remain huge. It is basically 30% body and 60% wing.
Surprisingly, there aren’t too many references of natu’s wing undersides – I’ve found one piece of evidence that it is red like the wing tips.
The artwork also suggests that the underside has two black stripes that are connected to the top stripes. With this information, I think they turned out pretty adorable!
Next came the feet, which are pretty similar to the beta chiks feet, except with two toes in the front. They came together pretty fast; all I needed to do was tuck in the excess yarn ends, but instead I went to the One of a Kind Spring Show in Toronto, and then I made some cat-shaped rice balls with spam.
So here is the result:
Thanks for reading! Next week is a new month, so I’ll be featuring an old favourite!