This week’s plush is Chiks, the beta baby pokemon for the Doduo evolutionary line! It’s too bad that this pokemon was tied with Doduo, it could have been an interesting line on its own.
Since looking at the beta sprite, I’ve been naturally drawn to it – it reminds me of when I used to play the original gold and silver versions of pokemon, and then how I stumbled on some scary new pokemon. Back then, raikou was new and it had me jumping out of my skin when I found it in the grass for the first time.
For most of this week, I had been away at a conference in Windsor – I managed to make one of the heads and then I was too tired to continue. The conference was a full 3 days of talks and social gatherings, but I thought I would have enough energy to crochet in the night. Most of this piece was completed on Saturday and Sunday!
Thankfully, this design was generally spherical; the heads and body were basically a collection of spheres. I made one side of the body a bit flat so that I could fit the heads on, but instead it made for a great base for the feet.
The feet were made out of a combination of putting three toe pieces together, and then making the heel. The heel was made with the same technique used on the meowth, and the back toe is a separate piece attached on top. The toenails were made from a 3-chain, single-crochet triangle, and the mouth pieces were a 3-chain, single-then-double crochet triangle.
I find myself amazed at how small my details ended up being for this amigurumi! With such small details comes a bunch of loose threads to pull in – I had to stuff a lot of yarn into its body, which has the same round size as each head!
I spoke too soon about this project being mostly spherical; the fuzzy part of its body took a lot more time than I thought it would.
I thought about crocheting at least 1 row per fluff piece, but it turned out that I needed to chain 2 and break it off from there. In addition, I thought it was wise to make each piece individually – I quickly changed technique after the first pieces were fastened on.
I’m not sure if it’s a real technique, but I made the newer fluffs with long pieces of yarn; I would make a regular chained piece, stitch the yarn through to meet the other end with the knitter’s needle, pull the yarn through the body into another section, make a loop on another spot, and then chain another piece directly onto the body. This process saved a lot of time and effort, yet it still took hours to complete.
After delays, trials, and patience, I give you the final result!
Thanks for reading! I am still planning for another post this Saturday, hope to see you then!